Friday, October 17, 2008

Combining cuisine's and cultures

I like figuring out how I can combine and exchange flavors from different countries and cultures.
An example is break fast this morning.
Years ago, I used to eat regularly at an amazing sushi restaurant. Being a regular customer, they would serve you a complimentary little dish when you sat down.
It was raw salmon, thinly sliced cucumber, scallion and a splash of soy and toasted sesame oil and sesame seeds. It was AMAZING.

Good fresh raw salmon is hard to come by here and toasted sesame oil I don't really indulge in anymore, and soy sauce is an occasional indulgence. (to salt for my tastes these days)
So here's my recipe now;
Smoked salmon loin cut up in bite size pieces, diced cucumber, scallion and some tehina.
Mix together gently.

I do enjoy my raw fish and find some nice ahi tuna here from time to time. I think I wrote before that I often buy the frozen piece to save on cost, it's really very good especially made into a nice tartare. Simple and quick; tuna, cucumber, scallion, pepper, soy/tamari sauce

Have a great weekend everyone......love some, grill some and do something exhilarating!

4 comments:

s said...

Hey glad the pic thing is working for ya! Enjoy and you too have an awesome weekend!

Anonymous said...

This looks good. I think I might try something similar but with lime too!

Naomi Kooiker said...

Oh Mark you reminded me that I have to try sushi sometime.. I've honestly never had it!

Dankjewel

Marc said...

Sarena,

Pretty problem free lately. Thank goodness. ;-)

SOG,
I will try the lime next time.
This also works with salmon by the way. If you can find some good sushi grade.

Naomi,
You're in San Fran....it's a good place to try it.
although you will want sashimi...no rice for you ;-)
Great post on your blog!
Enjoy.

Marc