Monday, June 29, 2009

Beer Can Chicken

This will be the last in the chicken recipes for a while. I'm "chickened out" ;-)
But don't think I've ever shared a BEER CAN chicken recipe with you.
You can make this on the grill or in your oven. I made mine in the oven.

1 organic chicken
red onion
Cilantro
garlic
dried pepper (any variety will do)
bacon
garlic powder
paprika powder
cayenne pepper
sea salt (optional)

Saute some garlic cloves, red onion, fresh cilantro and sliced up dried pepper.
With kitchen shears cut up 2 slices of bacon.

Wash the chicken inside and out and pat it dry. Now take the sauteed goodness ans stuff it inside the chicken and under the skin. Add the bacon pieces to it, again under the skin and inside the cavity. Sprinkle the chicken liberally with garlic powder,paprika and cayenne. (I did add some sea salt)

Take a can of beer and empty half of it. Take an oven proof dish, and put the chicken cavity over the beer can. In the oven she goes at 325 for about an hour or more depending on temperature.
Would love to know if and when you decide to try this and how it came out.


(The dark bits at the bottom of the pic. are not charred skin, but pieces of the dark red dried california pepper I used)
Make it a GREAT WEEK.

8 comments:

Jay C said...

Nice;

I cooked up one a few months ago, the hotter the heat, the better the liquid boils up from the can.

I like you stuffing the bird and the skin.

Jay

Anonymous said...

Beer cans are aluminium, lined with Bisphenol A and other toxins...would stuffing the can inside the chicken and baking in a hot oven release these toxins into the chicken? Genuine question, not nitpicking.

Marc said...

Jay,

It works wonders when you sutff under the skin.
What are your thoughts on the comment fro anonymous?

Anonymous,
You might have a really really good point. I don't know the answer....but Im going to find out.

Marc

Jay C said...

Can might be a concern, but not sure. I'll let ya do some checking, report back, though I'm not worried about it.....

Anonymous said...

Marc

I have done it on the grill and a great picture would be the chicken "sitting on the can"!

george

Unknown said...

Marc,

I cooked this for my 4th of July meal. It was great! Took me about 1.5 hours to cook in the oven. Chicken was moist. I really liked adding the dry peppers. It was raining here so I didn't mind that I wasn't grilling something. Next time I'll add more onion and garlic.

Thanks.
Jay

Wealthy And Healthy said...

Can almond flour be used to make a decent roux?

write essay said...

interesting....
I'd say so creative recipe. A unique in such types))