Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Different flavors, Step by Step

I really enjoyed my dinner last night. Give this one a try.

Grocery list; organic head of cauliflower, small cucumber and a grass fed rib eye steak. Side note, as much as I use frozen veggies, I don't use frozen cauliflower. It just doesn't seem to have any flavor. If you can't get your hands on grass fed meat (or the price of it is just to crazy where you live) try to find "natural" beef with out all the hormones and antibiotics.

Boil a head of cauliflower until soft......soft NOT mush. Once the water is boiling, toss in the whole head and it takes about 6-10 minutes.

In a skillet with about 2 tbsps of organic butter, saute some fresh chives, rosemary and 2 large cloves of garlic. You don't need a lot of fresh rosemary as the flavor is intense. The pic. looks like it has a lot of rosemary but it's the chives you see mostly.



Remove the head of cauliflower, place on cutting board and chop it up. Sprinkle liberally with paprika. And turn on your oven to about 225.



Now add that to the butter garlic and herbs and mix together. Slice up some onion and toss in another skillet with 2 tbsps of organic butter. Take your 1 pound steak and slice in to small strips and pieces. (dinner was for me alone so I used half the steak, approx 8 ounces). Before you start cooking, always take your meat out of the fridge so the steak can come to room temp. It cooks/grills much better this way. Add your steak to the skillet and let it cook till desired temp.





next peel and slice your cucumber or kirby. Toss in a bowl with 1 tbsps evoo, a scallion and sea salt. Remove your cauliflower from the stove and mix in a SMALL piece of crumbled feta.

Then stick your oven proof skillet in the oven so it stays warm and cooks a tad more. See how little feta is needed to give it some great flavor. Just a tiny piece crumbled for an entire head of cauliflower. Compare this with how much feta gets thrown on top of a small greek salad if you're out in a restaurant somewhere. Portions outside your home are so out of whack.



I had a big meal as it was THE meal of the day. (small breakfast and lunch)
On top of the cauliflower I put one large teaspoon of sour cream. The temperature of the dish allows it to melt a little and then it mixes well with the portion. Not a cup of sour cream...just a teaspoon. ;-) Fresh Basil on top of the cucumber salad, and delicious steak and onions.

I had another scoop of the cauliflower towards the end of the meal. I was nice and full.

3 comments:

Yummy said...

That cauli looks yummy, thanks for sharing it!

Son of Grok said...

Food looks delicious buddy. Sorry I have not commented in a while... I quit the job a couple weeks back and have been actively job searching my rear off (it is not going so well). Maybe I should explore elsewhere... like southern florida? Lol... I hate you and your beach pics. Anyways sorry I have been absent!

The SoG

Marc said...

Yummy,
You're welcome....I love me some cauli.

SOG,
I know you've been busy my man!!!
Still no luck with the job search?
It's a mess out there from what I hear. Good luck and persevere....it will come.
Maybe if you come here we can open a primal center.....train and feed people.
Talk soon.
Marc